Monday, November 13, 2006

Closing doors

I decided to do a spot of solo travelling this weekend and booked myself a ticket to the pink city of Jaipur leaving at 6am. There was a fatal oversight in my otherwise flawless plan. I had noone to make sure that I woke up at 5am as planned and didn't pull the battery of my cell phone off in my sleep (a useful trick that my body picked up at varsity to cope with one too many late nights).

Running more than half an hour late, I arrived at the station with just 1 minute to get all the way to the opposite side of the station. As I started running, the second flaw in my plan was, shall we say, exposed. I had invested in a pair of Indian balloon pants - perfect for travelling and quite trendy if I dare say so myself (all the backpackers are wearing them). The elastic holding them up was not doing a very good job. The faster I ran, the more stubbornly they slipped down. I hurtled down the stairs and managed to jump on the train as it was slowly chugging away pants clutched in one hand and my bag in the other.

2 comments:

Mummerina said...

hehe sounds hilarious...
do you prefer travelling on your own or with others??
P.S i started a blog thats to do with my travels...
http://karina1985.blogspot.com

Lou said...

hmmm... good question. I think they're advantages to both. By yourself certainly forces you out of your comfort zone and make more of an effort. It also gives you the independence to do what you want when you want.

On the other hand, there is nothing better than being able to share an amazing new experience with a good friend and have someone to play cards with on the train to prevent dying of boredom.

The jury is still out.