Monday, October 09, 2006

The Midnight Express

So it turns out the sleeper class on the train is neither AC first or second class nor the separate compartment that one might expect from the name. Coreen and I clambered onto the train only to realise that both the lights and the fans were not working in our very stuffy carriage. To make matters worse, a wallah leered menacingly at the window rattling a collection of dangerous looking locks and chains which we realised with horror were for the express purpose of securing our luggage to our beds.

As the thought "What have I got myself into?" reverberated around my head the train stuttered to life and with it the lights and the fans flickered on. Thank goodness. The light highlighted the fact that the bed covers had clearly seen cleaner days but it was nothing that an entire pack of Coreen's antiseptic wipes could not remedy. Coreen, what will I do when you go? The journey actually turned out to be relatively pleasant. At one point in the evening it got decidedly chilly and ill prepared for any cold weather as I was, I was decidedly relieved that we hadn't ended up in the AC compartment as I would have frozen my ass off.

In true style, I had demolished all my padkos before we had even left Delhi. Oh for the day when I haven't finished my popcorn and coke by the time the movie starts.

3 comments:

Lou said...

Can someone technical please enlighten me as to why my links have moved down to the bottom of the page?

Coffee Break said...

I just read your blog from start to finish... LOVE it!
Will be back soon (and frequently)!
Doc put me on to you... enjoy your 3 months... it will be over before you know it!
Yip, trains are an experience in itself!

Lou said...

thanks very much. i can't believe it's been a month already. it's gone so fast. so little time and so many places to see!