Thursday, October 12, 2006

A love story

I always thought that Indira Gandhi, previous prime minister of India, was related to the great Mahatma or Gandiji as he is affectionately know here. The real story is far more romantic…

Once upon a time there was a man named Nehru. He became prime minister of India after the Partition in 1947. This was a very big task because the situation was fraught with political tension. West Pakistan and East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) had been separated from India. Although they tried to create the borders to encompass predominantly Muslim and Hindu areas, thousands of people found themselves having to leave the land on which their ancestors had lived for generations and relocate. Often they didn’t have an opportunity to take their belongings with them. A large number of the people were very unhappy.

Nehru had a daughter Indira. Indira fell in love with a Farsee. When her father found out, he was furious. He told her that marrying him was just not an option and it would just undo all the work he was trying to achieve. Distraught, Indira turned to her godfather and close family friend Gandhiji. Together they devised a solution.

The next day, Gandhi went to Nehru and said “I have had a brilliant idea. I think that Indira should marry one of my sons”. Nehru was very pleased and agreed immediately. But when he saw Gandhi’s son he realised what he had agreed to. “But this is not your son! This is the man that Indira wanted to marry. I cannot allow it.” He said.

“Aaggh” said Gandhi “But he is my son now as I have adopted him”.

And that is why Indira Gandhi has the surname Gandhi.

NOTE: I was relaying this story to a colleague and he took great delight in telling me that although a common opinion, it is in fact completely incorrect. Feroze Gandhi (Indira’s husband) had the same surname merely by coincidence. He was not the adopted son of Gandhi.

Damn! Why did he have to go and pop my balloon like that? I think I’m going to go with common opinion on this one. It makes for a much better story.
ANOTHER NOTE: My faith in romance has been restored! I spoke to the original narrator of the tale and is willing to bet his life on the fact that it is true. He apparently did a paper on it at Varsity with lots of research etc. etc.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lou, I love your blog. I can use it to 'take me away' from Standard Bank (sometimes very much needed). Tell us more about work. How are things going? I'm not sure how you fit it in with all the adventures you are having.

Have a fab day. Rose

Lou said...

ja. working hard but try and steer clear of it talking too much about it on the blog. client confidentiality and all that. doing a really exciting project with some very dynamic people so enjoying it enormously.

how's the big blue? B2?

Lou said...

ja. working hard but try and steer clear of it talking too much about it on the blog. client confidentiality and all that. doing a really exciting project with some very dynamic people so enjoying it enormously.

how's the big blue? B2?

Shankar Bali said...

Ask your friend who wrote a paper on Feroze Gandhi, how much he scored on it :) They were not related.