Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Mythbusters

When I came to India everyone assured me that it was the perfect opportunity to save money because everything is so cheap. Let me clarify this for those of you that are planning on coming over for a spot of travelling. Textiles such as bags and clothes are quite cheap. Silver jewellery although not cheap is far more affordable than it would be in SA. Accomodation in small towns is quite cheap. Eating in small towns is quite cheap. Drinking in small towns is quite cheap. Delhi is very expensive.

To be more specific, going out in Delhi is incredibly expensive. Part of the problem is that a large portion of the going out places are in hotels and thus carry hotel prices: a large bottle of beer (750ml) (the Big Mac index for people between the age of 18 and 30) will set you back between 40 and 60 South Africans; a vodka, lime and soda costs about R50, a glass of wine (Indian) will cost you in the region of 60 to 70 bucks and for the budget breaking Mojito you're looking at about R90. More expensive than the Westcliff if my memory serves me correctly. Chanda reckons that it's more expensive than drinking in Washington DC! And that's without the non inclusive 20%VAT on drinks and the almost inevitably compulsory service charge.

3 comments:

Mummerina said...

I didn't realise u were from SA - For some reason I thought u were an american!!!!
I'd luv to go to SA one day!!!

Lou said...

You must. I may be a little biased but I honestly believe that it is one of the most beautiful and diverse places in the world. Let me know if you plan to come over and I can take you for a spot of sight seeing.

Ahuv said...

Going out to Hotels is expensive everywhere as Hotels live up to Western Standart. Have you ever gone to Indian parties/bars in Dehli?
What else about Delhi would justify it as an expensive city?
Might go there in April...