Thursday, November 30, 2006

Treasure chests

I have chanced upon heaven on earth for furniture lovers and romantics. An enormous warehouse filled with rows and rows of the most exquisite old Indian furniture. Ancient latticed doors, teak bedsteads, beautiful armoirs and engraved tables compete for the gentle, dusty rays of sunshine that filter through the high set murky windows.

Best of all though are the boxes. The giant treasure chests, beautiful dowry boxes and intricately carved jewellery boxes had me completely enthralled. For each of the boxes I conjured up stories. I imagined a young women tearfully packing up her life's belongings in a carefully carved chest and leaving her family for the first time to get married. I imagined an old lady reminiscing over each of her pieces of jewellery housed in the tiny drawers of an aging jewellery box. For hours I whimsically trawled the room. And then I fell in love. With a chest of country wood with brass detail. What completely sold me is that when you open it up there are about ten little compartments ideal for treasures.

The staff started getting a little impatient with me as I sat having an internal argument with myself.
Heart: Should I get it?
Mind: But I don't know if I can afford to?
Heart: But how often are you in India?
Mind: Ja, Louise but you have been saying that a lot lately. How are you going to get it home?
Heart: Who cares, it was meant to be? Just get it.
Mind: But I can't.
Heart: COME ON. You know you want to.
Mind: Ok.
I bought the chest.
Heart - 1.
Mind - 0.
I'm still not entirely sure how I am going to get it home.

"Sometimes the HEART should follow the MIND. Sometimes the HEART should tell the MIND to stay AT HOME and STOP INTERFERING." Edward Monkton

1 comment:

Treasure Chests said...

Such a nice information about Chests, here i have got more about different type of Tables and Trunks like Treasure Chests,Dorm Trunks, Footlockers, Kid Treasure Chest and many more...