Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Does a cow have calf muscles?

This is the poster above my desk at the client. I don't know. I assume yes. What I do know is that I have a problem. Aside from the high fliers, I have made only one acquaintance here. He always seems to be at meetings so has not been unable to join me at the buffet style canteen for lunch as yet. It seems pretty straight forward
  1. Take a tray
  2. Take some food

But not for the unitiated such as myself. You see, there is one plate and 2 little bowls next to it. There are about 5 dishes to choose from. What to do. I can't ask the canteen servers because they don't speak English very well and I can see the amused look in their eyes as they watch me flounder. Instead I quickly smash a bit of each dish into the closest receptacle and rush to sit at a table with my back to everyone so they can't see how wrong I got it. On my way to the table I try to surreptitiously look at how everyone else does it. Fordsburg friends, please save me from the mortification!

2 comments:

Lou said...

OMG. Just went to lunch and my “friend” was already there. Hmmppfff, well I don’t need him anyway. I worked it out myself. The two most liquidy things go in the bowls in this case dal and yoghurty sauce (not sure of actual name) and the rest goes on the plate. Right?

Lou said...

Looking forward to mud land enormously although more for the good company than the mushy peas.

Thanks Fae. Yes they do have chapati. Have them with every meal. Love them.